New Business Models with PV/Storage Solutions – also a Solution for the Aller-Leine Valley?
The steering group for EnergieRegion+ Aller-Leine Valley (ALV) is being supported by deENet as part of the European project ‘100% RES Communities’. A number of preceding events (the last one in February 2014) have identified essential fields of action for further realizing renewable energy sources in the ALV, among them the option of prioritizing the promotion of PV/storage combinations. Against the background of the amendment of the renewable energy law in Germany (EEG), it is particularly important for regional actors to find new business models that make the expansion of PV possible, even without the legal aid of EEG 1.0.
PV/Storage Workshop Norddrebber: PV/Storage Useful for the ALV?
On 8 July 2014, a workshop about PV/storage solutions is taking place. The goal of the workshop is the continuing discussion about PV/storage solutions, embedded in talks by experts and a vote on possibilities for implementation or campaigns in the ALV about this issue. The public group of participants consists of several mayors, PV and storage businesses from the region, interested private persons, staff of deENet / IdE and the invited specialists.
Specialist Lecture from the Bundesverband Solarwirtschaft (Federal Association of Solar Industry): New Business Models for PV Systems – Market Potential and Practical Help
In his talk, Mr Meyer of the Federal Association of Solar Industry focuses on the development of the market and price of photovoltaics and storage, legal frameworks and possible business models of PV/storage solutions after the amendment of the renewable energy law. Among others, he considers the leasing of PV/storage units and the eligibility of PV installations in accordance with the EnEV (Energy Saving Ordinance for New Buildings) as potential business models of the future. Additionally, he continues to see great potential in smaller PV units on private rooftops.
Picture: Mr Meyer of the BSW giving a clear presentation on new PV business models
Specialist Lecture by SMA Solar AG: New Possibilities with Photovoltaics and Decentralized Storage
Mr Umland of the SMA primarily throws light on business options for PV/storage against the background of new financing models (e.g. contracting, inclusion of tenants). Much room is given to a discussion about the question to what degree larger units (multi-family houses, whole villages) could be used for comprehensive PV (storage) systems.
Picture: Mr Umland (l.) patiently explaining the possible usages of PV (storage) systems for larger units such as multi-family houses
In the multifaceted, lively discussions about the specialist lectures, people were able to settle a number of questions:
- Within the current legal framework, unlike in the case of multi-family houses, it is probably not possible to get a whole village exempt from costs by not using the public transmission network (though possibly by creating their own networks or other innovative solutions).
- Investing in photovoltaics definitely remains worthwhile, particularly for units of up to 10 kWp.
- How attractive storage solutions are depends on the circumstances (central storage for more energy facilities vs single storage units per, for example, wind turbine), but the coming years promise to bring improved funding options.
During the workshop discussions, ideas are being developed that should be pushed forward in the near future in order to implement PV/storage as a serious alternative in the ALV:
- The suggested business models could be made palatable to potential investors from the ALV by starting a PR campaign in the region.
- It should be checked how an overall concept for PV systems including PV storage could be implemented in whole areas in the ALV (such as for whole villages).
- In addition, one should check the coupling of the PV/storage solutions with the current plans to create a heat supply systems by generating heat from flowing water.
- Depending on the tendering situation, possible pilot activities for new applications of PV/storage solutions could be embedded in research projects. In principle, SMA would be interested in participating.
- The opportunities and perspectives of solar/storage ideas should take a prominent place in the LEADER application that is currently being prepared.
What are the Next Concrete Steps?
At the end of the workshop, some concrete steps are being voted for that are supposed to further develop the project:
- Continuing the workshop series, exclusively dealing with storage solutions. Participation should be open to all and there should be a specialist lecture, followed by a discussion. Organized by deENet and key figures of the steering group EnergieRegion+.
- Participating in preparing the LEADER application in the coming months, which will function as a framework for further measures (the coordination work of deENet ends for now with the completion of the EU project in April 2015).
- Bilateral further development of the ideas ‘Campaigning for Small PV (+ Storage)‘ and ‘Selection of one or more pilot villages in the ALV to pool the actions to be taken’.